Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Classroom "Conversation"

Whole Class Discussion

Studies of classroom conversations reveal that in many classrooms what we might typically label as whole class discussion, is actually not discussion at all.


Researchers label what I tend to do as I-R-E... Initation-Response-Evaluation. I ask a question, a student answers it, and then I evaluate the answer and move on. Here's an example, done transcript style.

Teacher: Why does Steinbeck start each chapter in Of Mice and Men with a description of the setting?

Student: He does this because the setting tells the story. I mean, where things happen matters. Like the opening of the novel with the description of the river and the mountains.


Teacher: Yes. Good answer! Ok. Can someone explain why Steinbeck never gives Curley's wife her own name?


Student: Because she's a girl?


Teacher: Not exactly. [Now comes the part of the "conversation" where I get to show how smart I am by telling the kids the answer, or sometimes, the answer for which I was looking!]


You can see how I ask a question (initiate), some student volunteers an answer, and then I evaluate by saying, "Yes. Good Answer." I move on to the next question/initiation. 

This following link will take you to a quick read and very smart tips on making classroom discussion authentic discussion that accomplishes meaningful academic work and social learning for students.

http://www.edutopia.org/blog/rethinking-whole-class-discussion-todd-finley

No comments:

Post a Comment